CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, March 1, 2008

Who are the main characters in the novel? Do you like them? What is special about them? What do they reveal about the universal human experience?

"1984"
The three significant characters of this novel are Winston, Julia, and O'Brien. Winston is a character who has the thought of rebellion against the Inner Party and Big Brother from the beginning to most of the end. When he is captured and is sent to the Ministry of Love, through all of the torture and interviews, Winston is gradually brainwashed and in the end, admires the Big Brother like as if he's never held any animosity towards him. I really like this character. He resembles very well. If I believe that something is right, I believe in that opinion very strongly. However, I do not think that I would be able to stay with this belief through series of torture, brainwashing, threats, and the possibility of being eaten by a group of vicious rats. Like him, instead of being able to sustain my belief, I would give up, and chose to stick to the status quo.
Julia is a fellow rebellion with Winston. She has already commited many acts that were considered as crimes by the Dystopian world portrayed in 1984. After meeting Winston, they tried to find the organization called "Brotherhood" which was known to be an underground rebellion group against the Inner Party. I like Julia also. She's worked with Winston to pursue their goal. She kept on with her goal, and did many things to achieve it.
I like O'Brien the most. Although many people might see him as a traitor and artedan untrusty person, in my point of view, he did something that he believed in, and worked hard to maintain his high possition in the Inner Party, and did his best to capture his enemy, and making them believe in what he thought was the right belief.
I think humans will try to do something that they believe is correct. So, this basically means that there aren't the absolute right or wrong when it comes to beliefs. (excluding religion...)

1 comments:

Jesse Park said...

Did you edit your post? It got much longer. I was going to ask you to explain about Julia and O'Brien. But you explained very well for your edited post. I also like Winston because he resembles me a lot. Your post is long, and you explained each characters very thoroughly. Good post!